[Aboriginal] ulfs-bootstrap, shrinking LFS.

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Tue Apr 5 04:49:48 PDT 2011

On 04/05/2011 05:24 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> The rest of that I'll reply to later, just want to get something off my
> chest before sleeping.

>>> I'd like to look at that readline replacement, though I'd be just as
>>> happy to not need it for my current project.
>>
>> There's a couple of them, but this one looks reasonable at first
>> glance:
>>
>>   https://github.com/antirez/linenoise
>
> Turns out that lua needs readline.  Lua also needs ncurses.

I thought it was readline that needed ncurses, but I haven't really
poked at lua building recently.  (It's on my todo list...)

>  Lua itself
> is needed by the UI library I'm using (EFL at
> http://enlightenment.org/ ).  I'm guessing that lua needs readline and
> ncurses for it's stand alone lua shell.  Not something I need for the
> final product, but likely it will come in handy for debugging.  I'll
> see if I can patch that shell out when time comes for me to shrink the
> result down to the bare minimum.  For now it stays.  I'm looking
> forward to learning lua and using it in this project.

Same here.  I bought the lua book and everything.  Every time I'm in
Moscow (twice so far) I try to meet up with Alexander Gladysh (senior
Lua developer) but we have yet to actually cross paths so far.

> I remember you where thinking about using lua for toybox.  You also
> would not need a stand alone lua shell, so you might be happy to see
> that patch when I make it.

You might want to ping agladysh at gmail.com and see if there's already a
way to get it to do that.

> BTW, is anyone else on this list, or did you loose them all and I'm
> the first to find it?  Seems awfully quiet in here.

The old list went away when impactlinux.com went down, and I lost the
subscription list when that happened.  I didn't get around to setting up
a new one again until a month or so back, and I haven't cut a release
since then so people who only pop up for the releases haven't
particularly noticed the new list's existence yet. :)

Several people have subscribed and are lurking, but I still get far more
emails directly than go to this list.

Speaking of which, I got permission to cc one here a couple days ago but
I don't see it... and it's not in the web archive either.  Great,
gmail's insane spam filtering strikes again.  Second attempt, modifying
the message enough that hopefully gmail won't decide it's a duplicate...