[Aboriginal] Fwd: Re: Aboriginal Linux

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Thu Apr 7 03:55:01 PDT 2011

On 04/07/2011 05:17 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:51:50 -0500 Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Retry sending it form my work address?  (Yes, gmail's spam filtering
>> is so broken I have to send this through an exchange server to get it
>> out. I'm going to have to set up my own mail server again, aren't I?)
>
> I've been using a simple hack to work around gmails failings with
> mailing lists for years, since google say it's a feature, not a bug.

They're wrong.

> You might notice I have a read only and a write only account on your
> list.

Yeah, I'm doing that.  It's still not working around _this_ bug.  Gmail
is saying "you already sent that message to somebody else" and filtering
it out when I send it to a different (overlapping) group of people.

> I write an email to the list using this account, but tell your
> mailing list to NOT send this account any of the list email.  This is
> the write only account.  The read only acount is the one that actually
> has your mailing list configured to send me the mails.  Since none of
> those mails where written by the read only account, gmail lets it
> through.
>
> It's slightly annoying that those people replying to my posts that send
> me CCs as well (in itself annoying when I'm ON THE DAMN LIST), don't
> have the duplicate emails filtered out by the mailing lists "don't send
> me the damn CCs" feature.  Coz I get the emails from the read only
> account, and it does not know about the write only account to know to
> filter them.  Oh well, rather get too much than not enough.

I'm on a lot of high traffic lists where if they don't cc: me I won't
notice for a week.

> Other people have told google in no uncertain terms that filtering out
> your own emails is a bug, NOT a feature for many years.  sigh

Yes, as Google Buzz and Wave and Orkut and such show, they're never wrong:

  http://landley.livejournal.com/48903.html

I need ot set up my own mail server.  I already poked Chris DiBona about
it on twitter, which is pretty much the only way I've ever found of
getting Google's attention about anything.