[Aboriginal] Couple of bugs.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:06:34 PDT 2011

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:16:56 -0500 Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com>
wrote:

> I need to figure out what infrastructure goes into aboriginal linux
> and what goes into the separate control-images.  (Automative native
> build control images.  Distro bootstrapping.  I suck at naming
> things, anybody have a suggestion?  They can share the mailing list
> until there's enough traffic ot justify splitting it off, but I have
> to name the mercurial repository in order to put it online...)

Rainbow serpent?  "moves through water and rain, shaping landscapes,
naming and singing of places, swallowing and sometimes drowning people;
strengthening the knowledgeable with rainmaking and healing powers;
blighting others with sores, weakness, illness, and death."

The control images could be both examples, and bootstrap steps to
the popular distros you have already mentioned.  Stopping short of
being distros or distro builders, and letting the distro maintainers
themselves deal with the next step once we get them bootstrapped.
Though perhaps a full BLFS build is on the cards, since that has a
limit on the packages, is a good shake down, and a good match.

Could be both separate, and being able to use Aboriginal Linux as the
build environment by having the two side by side, so people can run
both with simple scripts, then use the results to build some sort of
bootable image, or keep running it under qemu.

Could also have the option of combining it into one image, and not two
where one is mounted automatically, then have to manually chroot into it
to actually do anything with the bootstrap under qemu.

I'd probably dump a EFL on frame buffer, and EFL on X minimal bootstrap
into the EFL repo, as an example to others to not start dumping random
collections of bootstraps into your repos.  They already have an
OpenEmbedded area in their SVN.