[Aboriginal] Couple of bugs.

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Sat Apr 9 08:35:56 PDT 2011

On 04/09/2011 10:06 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:16:56 -0500 Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I need to figure out what infrastructure goes into aboriginal linux
>> and what goes into the separate control-images.  (Automative native
>> build control images.  Distro bootstrapping.  I suck at naming
>> things, anybody have a suggestion?  They can share the mailing list
>> until there's enough traffic ot justify splitting it off, but I have
>> to name the mercurial repository in order to put it online...)
>
> Rainbow serpent?  "moves through water and rain, shaping landscapes,
> naming and singing of places, swallowing and sometimes drowning people;
> strengthening the knowledgeable with rainmaking and healing powers;
> blighting others with sores, weakness, illness, and death."

Never heard of it before.

> The control images could be both examples, and bootstrap steps to
> the popular distros you have already mentioned.  Stopping short of
> being distros or distro builders, and letting the distro maintainers
> themselves deal with the next step once we get them bootstrapped.
> Though perhaps a full BLFS build is on the cards, since that has a
> limit on the packages, is a good shake down, and a good match.

Yup.  There's good reasons to _do_ it, it's just the scope of the
control images heap could grow larger than the rest of aboriginal linux
combined.  How many distros are there?

> Could be both separate, and being able to use Aboriginal Linux as the
> build environment by having the two side by side, so people can run
> both with simple scripts, then use the results to build some sort of
> bootable image, or keep running it under qemu.
>
> Could also have the option of combining it into one image, and not two
> where one is mounted automatically, then have to manually chroot into it
> to actually do anything with the bootstrap under qemu.

The control images are target independent, the system images are target
specific.  (And the control images can be pretty darn big, the LFS one
is 350 megs.)  It makes sense to me to keep them separate.

If you use the run-emulator.sh, it runs the build automatically, but
there's a 3 second delay where it prompts you to press a key to get a
shell prompt, and only starts the build if you don't.

I can easily change how that works, but it's really a user interface
question.  (Aesthetic issue, not necessarily a one true answer there.)

> I'd probably dump a EFL on frame buffer, and EFL on X minimal bootstrap
> into the EFL repo, as an example to others to not start dumping random
> collections of bootstraps into your repos.  They already have an
> OpenEmbedded area in their SVN.

I do want to set up a vnc desktop export.  In theory x.org does this
built-in, in practice I've misplaced the instructions I got it to work
with last time.  (Maybe it was in BLFS somewhere...)