[Aboriginal] miniconfig-busybox

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Dec 6 04:31:50 PST 2011

On 12/05/2011 05:08 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 12:26:52 -0600 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on it.  Just did a blog entry about what record-commands
>> says I need for the build.  (Might not get to publishing it until
>> tomorrow, needs some cleanup.)
>>
>> It boils down to me needing to add this to toybox in order for it to
>> be able to replace busybox in aboriginal linux (at least for the i586
>> build, I need to check other targets, and I'm not quite sure what LFS
>> needs...):
>>
>>   awk basename bzip2 chmod chown cmp cut date dd diff dirname
>>   egrep env expr find grep gzip head hostname id install ld ln ls
>>   mkdir mksquashfs mktemp mv od patch readlink rm sed sh
>>   tail tar touch tr uniq wget whoami xargs
>
> As the author of the i486 target, I'll certainly be trying it there.

I'm running the Linux From Scratch build under busybox defconfig with
the record-commands.sh wrapping.  (My first attempt died because the
$PATH _only_ had the wrapper directory without falling back to
/bin:/sbin meaning the new commands like m4 it built and added weren't
in the $PATH, so the build died when it needed m4.  Oops.)

Basically I need to figure out what the full build _needs_, and then do
a baseconfig-busybox with that, and then target it for replacement with
toybox.  (I'm working on a new "TOYBOX=" config entry you can set to
busybox_defconfig, busybox, or toybox.)

I'm vaguely aiming to get a release out around the 15th with sparc
working, unless qemu doesn't cooperate.  (The sparc command line has a
length limit, it's not enforced by anything it's just openbios dies if
you go over it.  Rebuilding openbios is fiddly and not something end
users can do, and pushing a fix upstream would go _where_ exactly...?)