[Aboriginal] "sh: gettext: command not found" during host compile

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 13 05:48:10 PDT 2011

On 07/12/2011 03:02 PM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
>> Ubuntu turned gcc into a perl script that calls gcc.  (Yes really.)
>> Sounds like Mandrake might have done the same thing, if so I'll have to
>> install a copy here and fix it...
>
> On this box /usr/bin/gcc which simlinks to cc is a binary, nano says the
> first bytes are ^?ELF.

So that's not it...

I note that leaving mandrivia running overnight trying to format the
virtual hard drive didn't complete.  Sigh...

> you probably wont like my linux box at work that uses the shell wrapper
> colourgcc (or it might be the american spelling), anyhow thats a
> different box.

As long as it doesn't call anything that's not in busybox, it should
work fine...

The point of isolating the $PATH is to prevent ./configure scripts from
finding stuff out of the host that won't be on the target.
Internationalization support is one of them, and that's what gettext is
part of.

It seems like it's just a cosmetic problem, but I still want to fix it.
 If I can ever manage to reproduce it...