[Aboriginal] Prepping for a release.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 15:43:25 PDT 2011

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 13:24:40 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> I'm poking at OpenEmbedded because Khem Raj said he had sh4 working
> with Linux 2.6.38 under QEMU.  Alas, so far it's just a big pile of
> packages for bitbake (yet ANOTHER package repository to go with rpm,
> dpkg, portage, and so on).  The "getting started" web page is
> incomplete. There's no obvious "build a base sh4 system" switch.  I
> made a debian chroot, installed a dozen extra packages into it,
> downloaded two different git repositories, made a wrapper script to
> set environment variables, and now I'm reading through a config file
> that's full of little land mines to ensure the default configuration
> doesn't work to require you to read the whole thing...

I looked at OpenEmbedded, coz the head developer of the EFL stuff I'm
using is enamoured of it, and has suitable stuff for building EFL on
top of that in the EFL repo.  Looked like too much to me.  OE was too
big, AL is just right.  I might add "bare minimum linux to run EFL"
stuff to the EFL repo later.

> The real problem though is that right now, you can drop a
> miniconfig-linux or miniconfig-uClibc (or miniconfig-alt-linux or
> miniconfig-alt-uClibc) file in the arch directory and it'll override
> the baseconfig.  Some architectures still haven't been converted to
> use baseconfig, and I need to do that, but some things like the
> hw-targets aren't _ever_ going to use baseconfig at all, they need to
> continue to override this

Yep, I'm using that for my project.  That i486 arch I added before is
being used as the base for a new i486-MyLinux target where I add things
to the kernel for my project that are not needed just for the i486
target.  This should grow later to be the next release of my
SourceForge MyLinux project.