[Aboriginal] Prepping for a release.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jun 14 17:07:54 PDT 2011

On 06/14/2011 04:21 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> 2011/6/13 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>:
>> On 06/11/2011 05:43 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> [...]
>> Aboriginal is not a distro, it just creates a native development
>> environment for the target and then _stops_.  What you build on the
>
> In my opinion that is a defect. You could provide a minimal user-space
> without bothering with repository and you are still a distro. Indeed
> it is exactly what I would expected by this project.

I do provide a minimal userspace (without a repository), I even package
up the binaries to be bootable under qemu, and ship tarballs thereof.
(That would be the system-image files in downloads/binaries.)

That userspace is the smallest development environment capable of
natively rebuilding itself under itself, meaning from there you can
natively compile and install anything you want.  That's sort of the
point of the project.  However, it's not my job to define the "anything
you want" part.

I'm not understanding the objection?