[Aboriginal] Development tools in /usr/tools

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu May 19 06:23:49 PDT 2011

The problem with this current contract of mine is that I only work on
it when the client pays in advance, and he's not always able to come up
with money.  So sometimes I forget things and have to come up to speed
again.

I remember there was talk of having development tools in /usr/tools.
Having a bit of a poke around a recent build, I noticed that only the
basic tools are there, the rest are installed in / where they usually
want to live.  Plus tools is a symlink to a platform dependent name.

I'm thinking it would be great for my project, and likely good for
others, if there was something like /usr/tools that was a mount point
for yet another disk image, like the one used for building control
images.  This disk image would have all the purely needed for
development stuff on it.  With suitable links if needed.  Then it can
be unmounted to get just the image with the resulting embedded system
on it.  At least that's the theory.  More or less.

Are there plans to do such a thing?  I can likely do that myself, it
fits within the scope of my contract.