[Aboriginal] 9p VirtFS for /home

Salman Aljammaz aljamms8 at cs.man.ac.uk
Mon May 23 11:14:56 PDT 2011

I have a fairly trivial change to share.

I've modified the init script, the kernel config, and the qemu command
to mount the host user's $HOME on /home and the host's root on
/mnt/host on bootup, using 9p [1].  I found this to be easier to work
with than using an hdb image and FTP.  (The choice of directories to
export was just for my convenience)

Caveat: Because this uses VitrIO, this currently only works for x86
targets.  I believe there was an effort to make that work with ARM as
well [2] but I don't know what's happened with that.  Meanwhile we
could just run a real 9p server (inferno/npfs) and mount it over the
network.  I wonder why qemu doesn't do 9p with its user mode network,
like cifs...  I should look into that.

P.S. Thanks for making aboriginal linux!  I was at the verge of losing
faith in linux cross compiling; but i discovered this stuff, and it
actually works!

[1] http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/9p.txt
[2] https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/Specs/VirtIO