[Aboriginal] I aten't dead.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Jul 25 17:37:34 PDT 2012

It has been WAY TOO LONG since I cut a release.

The simple fact is toybox has been eating all my hobbyist development
time (which is maybe 10 hours a week, and most of that on weekends, due
to day job and the commute sucking away all my energy.) But I just cut a
toybox 0.4.0 release so this has swung back around to the top of my todo
list.

I integrated the 3.5 kernel (perl patch update, yank two now obsolete
patches), and it builds for most targets. (The repository also has 3.4
and 3.3 builds in there, I just didn't cut releases around them.)

i686 works, mips works, sparc works.

Todo list for cutting a release:

  arm versatile's scsi emulation broke AGAIN. Tracked to commit
  1bc39ac5dab but not immediately clear how to fix it. (They changed
  Interrupt routing to match documentation instead of reality, and
  the patch no longer cleanly reverts due ot something called
  "swizzle" having an infrastructure change...)

  sh4 is broken, not sure if this is qemu or kernel.

  powerpc build breaks in gcc, need to track that down. Not sure how
  the kernel did that, maybe it's because I'm testing with toybox.

  The x86-64 problem on Fedora is because libgcc_s.so is being built
  against uClibc and then LD_LIBRARY_PATH inserted into a shell script,
  and /bin/bash uses that library. It's plain and simple host/target
  confusion, what I haven't figured yet is why this works
  elsewhere. I'm torn between committing a quick hack workaround and
  digging in until I understand it properly.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.