[Aboriginal] Fwd: greetings!

David Henderson dhenderson at digital-pipe.com
Thu Jul 26 06:17:14 PDT 2012

This email thread has started to become soup!  So... I'll start a new
paragraph so we can start over. :)

Going back to the software included in the "firmware", the list should be
very small and only allow the device to get to the point for user
interaction.  For example,

- busybox (later toybox) for core functionality including user management,
scheduling, etc
- bash
- clAPI (our own software)
- the appropriate mount binaries for ext, ntfs, nfs, and smb/cifs
- ssh
- ssl (for secured headless devices or other communication)
- ssmtp (or similar) for automated outbound communication of device
* optional alsa (for sound enabled devices)
* optional graphics software for headed devices (headless will already be
handled via clAPI)

Items such as mplayer, samba, rdesktop, okular, perl, rsync, etc will be
outside the scope of the "firmware" because they aren't required to turn on
a device, login, and get to either the prompt or blank desktop (GUI).  The
list above should enable a device to communicate/interact with other
devices on the most basic level, but nothing beyond.
Because the "firmware" is kept to an absolute minimum, I think any library
API changes will not really disrupt the device from working.

Regarding the musl switch over, I had no clue that uClibc has been shelved
for so long!  Why wouldn't the switch to musl be more critical?  Not only
would you get actively developed software, but the speed increases as shown
in one of the links below.

I can see your point about standardization in the qwerty keyboard example
provided, however, because of how Linux has evolved compared to the design
goals of the XiniX distro, it's easier to manage the OS by separating it as
I have.  Otherwise, there would be an unwieldy amount of mounts to maintain
with software and configs going in various places (e.g. /bin, /usr/bin,
/usr/local/bin, /usr/share, etc).  The layout for XiniX is uniform and
makes sense where things are located and why.

Thanks for all the articles on the GPLv2 vs GPLv3 - lots of reading to do!
I'm sure I'll have more questions for you once I'm done. :)

Dave