[Aboriginal] Breakage while building LFS7.2

Prasanna Balan prazzb at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 01:06:39 PDT 2012

On Thu, Nov 01, 2012 at 06:37:29PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 10/31/2012 12:46:22 PM, Prasanna Balan wrote:
> >Hello
> >   I am trying to build LFS 7.2 using control images.I am using the
> >   patch attached below.
> >   The build breaks while extracting tzdata.I've attached the
> >   ( relevant )build log below the patch.
> >   I necessarily added a ls command above mv in the extract function.
> >   Notice how the packages above show ls properly and for tzdata it
> >   shows up like  readlink -f
> >
> >   I want to confirm that this is for all and my system is not broken.
>
> Try the attached patch?
>
> It builds an image. The image actually _working_ probably requires a
> lot of comparing the LFS 7.2 build instructions against the
> images/lfs-bootstrap/mnt/build/* files and adjusting who knows what.
>
> I note that more/chroot-splice.sh might come in handy to debug an
> i686 build natively before trying the other architectures with
> emulation overhead...
>
> Rob

It was not building the image and I was confused why. The patch I
gave was a patch on top of the current tree that I was using (trying)
to build the image.
Turns out that tzdata didn't get extracted properly.Unlike all other
packages, it doesn't has a subfolder inside the tarball. Hence mv
command was breaking.
So, I added lines to the extract function to make a directory and now
it's done. Can build a proper image.

Now is the time to change pkg-list and build-scripts used for building
packages

PS: I now repent as to why in the first place I cared about tzdata. It's
needed to set timezone when using glibc. Not needed here.
--
-prazzb
GPG key 0xDB63309D