[Aboriginal] Build from version control system repos instead of from tarballs

Alessio Igor Bogani alessioigorbogani at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 01:49:56 PDT 2012

Hi Rob,

On 30/10/2012 03:36, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 09/04/2012 03:49:07 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
[...]
>> Can Aboriginal grabs sources from git(Linux, musl, uclibc, busybox)
>> and hg(toybox) repos instead of from tarballs?
[...]
> populating the package cache from the git repo, and
[...]
> Really what I want to do is say "URL=git://busybox.net/busybox" in
> download.sh, have that clone the relevant repo under packages (so
> packages/busybox would be a directory), and then just use that as the
> package cache version.
>
> The question is, when do I re-pull?  (Every time you run download.sh?)

Never anymore.

I would want use a specific tag or commit (i.e. git reset --hard vX.Y)
moreover I would want decide when update and switch to a different
(updated) tag or commit.

Personally I don't use tarballs at all anymore: I'll download the
project's repo and build from it. I'm very happy if Aboriginal let me
work in this way.

For example (sorry in git-ish):

git clone aboriginal
cd aboriginal/ && ls
build.sh config cross-compiler.sh .. (these should works with any
version and doesn't care if gcc is 4.2.2 or 4.7.1)
ls package/linux (<- this is a submodule)
git submodule init
git submodule update
cd package/linux
git reset --hard origin (reset to the Linus' HEAD)
(don't change anything other aka let's use Rob's default versions)
./build i686-virtio

Why I bother with this crazy request? Because In this way I can handle
multi-level changes in a very simple way. So if I want add a feature
which needs to change/patch kernel, libc and application I could treat
this like a single atomic commit.

Ciao,
Alessio