[Aboriginal] Build from version control system repos instead of from tarballs

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 30 17:53:18 PDT 2012

On 10/30/2012 03:32:59 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:36:17 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> wrote:
> > The question is, when do I re-pull?  (Every time you run
> download.sh?)
>
> I guess there are two cases.  You are pulling from a source repo, and
> you just want the latest head.  Or you want a specific revision.  I
> would suggest the addition of a "REV=foobar".  In it's absence, just
> pull on every run, to get the latest head.  With that variable, treat
> git like a tarball that can be cached, pull once, keep it cached for
> ever more.
>
> Under the "just pull the latest" scenario, the sha1 is meaningless,
> put
> under the "pull a specific revision" scenario, the sha1 should be for
> the entire directory pulled.  Though in the case of git, the revision
> "number" IS part or all of an sha1 for the directory.  So perhaps for
> git REV would equal SHA1 anyway, but not all source code repo software
> does that.  So if you want something more generic, keep REV and SHA1
> different beasts.
>
> Just my two cents before I actually wake up properly.

I just did a "remove the alt- functionality" pass, which I'm testing,
and next I'm adding logic so that if a directory packages/package
exists for a package, it'll ignore the tarball and use that directly
instead. (In this case it won't patch it, you'll have to patch it
yourself.)

This basically means you can supply your own extracted source for a
package (git repo, mercurial, subversion: I don't care) and it'll just
use it.

I'm also taking out the "hardlink vs softlink" thing and making it so
it tries hardlink first, and falls back to softlink if that doesn't
work. (I.E. not on same filesystem.)