[Aboriginal] Aboriginal missing headers?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jul 11 22:52:10 PDT 2013

On 07/01/2013 05:38:23 PM, lamiaworks wrote:
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:59:30 -0700
>> From: Isaac <idunham at lavabit.com>
>> To: aboriginal at lists.landley.net
>> Subject: Re: [Aboriginal] missing headers?
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 01:31:25PM -0700,
>> aboriginal-request at lists.landley.net wrote:
>>> From: scsijon
>>>
>>> We have had a problem or two attempting to build a few packages, it
>>> was
>>> found that adding "UCLIBC_HAS_GETPT=y" to sources/baseconfig-uClibc
>>> has
>>> solved some of them such as rxvt.
>>>
>>> On the other hand we seem to have a few expected /include '.h' files
>>> missing that are normally used for building with after building the
>>> new
>>> aboriginal to 'play with'. Such as libc.h, sys/byteorder.h,
>>> sys/strredir.h, sys/sockio.h, sys/sockio.h, sys/stropts.h. I was
>>> wondering if this is deliberate or just not used.
>>
>> Ubuntu Lucid, all headers installed:
>> $ dlocate /libc.h
>> $ dlocate byteorder.h|grep sys/
>> $ dlocate sys/strredir.h
>> $ dlocate strredir.h
>> $ dlocate sys/sockio.h
>> $ dlocate sockio.h
>> $ dlocate sys/stropts.h
>> libc6-dev: /usr/include/sys/stropts.h
>>
>> In other wordds, the vast majority are not present on a standard
>> Linux system.
>> And <sys/stropts.h> contains only this:
>>
>> #include <stropts.h>
>>
>>> thanks
>>> scsijon
>>
>> ------------------------------
>
> Thanks Isaac, but using Aboriginal's README which states for
> root-filesystem-$ARCH.tar.bz2:
> ----
>   Combination of simple-root-filesystem and native-compiler into a
> single filesystem.  This is what the system images use for their
> minimal native development environment root filesystem.
> ----
> I did expect any DEVELOPMENT environment to have all it's internal
> packages header files included, even a minimal one.

uClibc does not implement this header. Ubuntu also does not contain
this header. I have no idea what you mean by "all its internal packages
header files included", and I have no idea where you got the idea that
a minimal development environment would contain things that a full
distro development environment does not.

> and the same against "system-image-$ARCH.tar.bz2", which starts:
> ----
>   Prepackaged bootable system images image for each target, which
> boot and run under QEMU and allow you to natively compile additional
> packages within the emulated development environment.
> ----
> and I thought and expected, would have needed these header files to be
> able to deal with the additional packages.

What additional packages? I've built around 100 packages under
aboriginal (all of linux from scrach about 1/3 of beyond linux from
scratch, plus various other things like dropbear and strace). Nothing I
encountered ever needed these headers. (Many things required other
prerequisite packages to be built and installed before they would build
and install, but that's just a question of adding packages in the right
order.)

You seem to have very specific needs, which even Ubuntu doesn't
fulfill, and I'm sorry the Aboriginal Linux project is not of use to
you. I've added stuff before (see the recent commit backporting
posix_spawn(), for example), but you can't seem to point to a
development environment that _does_ include these headers, you haven't
mentioned what packages are failing to compile... You just "expect"
them. Not much to go on there.