[Aboriginal] aboriginal linux

stephen Turner stephen.n.turner at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 14:49:21 PDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 11:19 PM, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM, stephen Turner
> <stephen.n.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I had no idea, not sure how i missed it either. I will join that in a
> bit as
> > i'm sure there is more fun posts to follow there.
> >
> > Right now i think i'm having issues with my headers. I rebuilt a
> successful
> > aboriginal clone (just the programs not scripts) and GCC is able to
> compile
> > code but the a.out file created is unreadable to some extent as the file
> > reports not there when you try to run it (don't you love linux saying a
> file
> > cannot be found just because it cant be run when it exists and is
> present?)
>
> The file that can't be found is either the dynamic linker or the
> program interpreter. Lemme guess: you're not using ccwrap.c.

Is ccwrap.c something i need to turn on? I didnt disable it and GCC is in
the /bin dir while i still call ./configure and while running ./configure i
receive this output:

"configure error cannot run c compiled programs."

Now checking the config.log i see

./conftest
./configure: line 3900: ./conftest: no such file or directory

For the sake of argument i decided to perform the old hello world test.c
test. I did so and recieved a a.out file which clearly had some data in it.
trying to run that a.out file returned the error "file not found "

> > I found a snippet on the web that when using musl libc you may need to
> patch
> > the headers as well as gcc. gotta do more home work to see what needs to
> be
> > done there.
>
> You're building with MUSL=1 ? That's still a bit buggy. I need to dig
> into the toolchain to figure out why -Bsymbolic-functions isn't
> reliably working. (It seems to for some symbols, but not for all.)

Im using musl 1.1.3 gcc 4.6.4 musl patched

> > I gotta say man, building a mini distro is fun even if it doesn't go
> > mainstream! and what a learning experience!
>
> Long ago I gave a BOF talk about why gcc path logic sucks. It's
> probably on http://landley.net/talks or some such.
>
> > If you run into any problems rebuilding your system for musl let me
> know, i
> > might already know a work around.
>
> You know what's wrong with dynamic linking with the last GPLv2 version
> of binutils fished out of git (between 2.17 and 2.18, just before the
> change to the license file went in) with regard to
> -Bsymbolic-functions? It only affects dynamic linking, not static
> linking. Might have something to do with weak symbol binding, haven't
> spent a weekend to track it down yet...

I am trying to dynamic link, i also have binutils 2.24 and i couldnt find
any other data on musl patching the headers which doesnt make sense to me.
why would linux headers version 3.16 need to be musl patched? headers dont
even deal with the libc do they?

> Rob
>
> P.S. Nobody ever wants to cc their messages to the aboriginal linux
> mailing list. I has a sad.

Fixed that for you :) no more cc