[Aboriginal] Time for another release.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 25 20:25:11 PDT 2015

On 07/25/2015 01:54 AM, David Halls wrote:
>     2) Unfortunately, if I disable distcc then qemu's floating point
>     emulation isn't quite right, and gets one of those "failure to compare
>     zero equal to zero" things, specifically:
>

> Not seen this and I've been compiling Aboriginal quite a bit in kvm
> locally (I only use chroot on CircleCI).
> I'm happy to take a look once you've got something to release if you like.

If you use KVM it should work fine, since that uses the host's FPU. The
problem is that qemu's _emulated_ FPU does a software floating point
thing that doesn't quite match what the hardware does, and you get a
calculation that _should_ be zero but is actually 1E-130 and it doesn't
compare equal with zero and the perl build bombs with unknown version.

It's really a qemu problem, but getting distcc working again would work
around it. As would using KVM instead of qemu. As would doing the build
in a chroot instead of qemu... :)

It's one of those "I really should submit a bug report to qemu" things,
but it's so easy to work around and hacking a reasonable test case out
of the perl build is unpleasant enough that I haven't bothered yet.