[Toybox] Editors and such.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jun 30 12:52:56 PDT 2012

On 06/25/2012 04:04 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> One thing I'm wondering about.  A lot of these editors where written
> for the days of really slow serial connections.

I think we can assume that a serial connection will be 115k or so.

> Not worrying about these things means we don't complicate the code with
> lots of optimizations for how much we output, or using fancy ANSI
> escapes for scrolling existing text and such. I think we can get away
> with that.

There are times scrolling existing text would be nice. Keep in mind
that's half of what "less" does".

Basically, "vi" and "less" are my two initial use cases for this. Emacs
ain't in posix. If it's a really trivial additional binding (basically a
.config file), fine. But I personally will never use it, and no standard
requires it.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.