[Toybox] [toybox] Asking advice for contribution

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 21 21:12:56 PDT 2012

On 05/21/2012 01:20 AM, Elie De Brauwer wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Some corrections,
>
> insmod, rmmod and lsmod are present and working.

Yay!  (And I remember now, didn't at the time.  I checked about 3/4
against the actual source but it was a bit late and I got confused.)

> And switch_root probably has the design issue of dealing with name with
> an _ in them, bumped into this with pivot_root as well.

Yup.  That's in my "top ten things to fix when I get a spare weekend". I
had one this past weekend but spent over half of it condo cleaning and
banging on Aboriginal Linux. (3.4 is out, I need to cut a release Real
Soon Now.)

> On the other hand, it might be useful to have a priority ordered list at
> hand of which commands are pending implementation, if something is in
> progress. Because now there's for example this e-mail, there's a TODO on
> the website

Actually there's a todo _directory_. It's a mess, I know.

> and there's a roadmap on the website. The current situation
> makes cherrypicking a bit difficult (at least for me), especially the
> interpretation of 'near' and 'partial' imposes potential issues to
> person who are *not yourself* :-).

Did I mention that "collate todo lists" is a perpetual todo item of mine? :)

Right now I'm trying to get out releases of toybox and aboriginal linux.
Both need polishing and regression testing of stuff that's already
there, so we have a good sync point. (Both are a bit overdue.)

For toybox, my release cleanup priorities are:

1) Propogate the dirtree and string_to_mode cleanups into the commands
that use that.

2) Go over the roadmap and make sure it's up to date.

3) Test defconfig in the aboriginal and LFS builds to make sure
everything works there.

#3 requires the new aboriginal release to ship first.  #1 I'm more than
halfway done with. #2 is going to take its own weekend.

I'd like the roadmap to be the main command list and loose schedule, and
I need to prune that stuff out of todo list. I may actually yank the
todo list entirely, not sure yet.  There's some general documentation
cleanup I need to do, documenting the dirtree stuff and such. Might wind
up doing that after the release,though.

I.E. I agree this is a problem, and fixing it is a priority.

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.