[Aboriginal] /bin/sh error compiling distcc

Alan Post alanpost at sunflowerriver.org
Mon Mar 14 19:01:39 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 06:36:00PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 08:05 AM, Alan Post wrote:
> > I'm trying to build aboriginal 1.0.1 inside the i486 system image.
> > The packages download and I get to the next stage, building host
> > tools.
>
> Sigh.  It used to self-host, I've been a bit distracted by the pending
> uClibc-NPTL release and the growing list of platform regressions (sparc,
> sh4, and mips64 have all been really close to working, but then they
> float away again as new package releases come out...)
>
> > busybox appears to compile fine.
>
> I beat the busybox guys up when they break stuff. :)
>
> > I'm getting the following error
> > message tryitg to build distcc:
> >
> > === Building host-tools
> > === distcc (host host-tools)
> > Snapshot 'distcc'...
> > configure: WARNING: you should use --build, --host, --target
> > configure: WARNING: invalid host type: "--with-included-popt--disable-Werror"
> > checking build system type... Invalid configuration `"--with-included-popt--disable-Werror"': machine `"--with-included-popt--disable' not recognized
> > configure: error: /bin/bash ./config.sub "--with-included-popt--disable-Werror" failed
> >
> > Exiting due to errors (host host-tools distcc)
> >

> > Somewhere in the configure stage for distcc, the two configure options:
> > '--with-included-popt' and '--disable-Werror' are being joined together.
>
> It's trying to use the wrong shell.  (None of the busybox shells
> actually work quite right yet.  Making hush into a decent bash
> replacement is a major todo item of mine if I ever get a spare 6 months.)
>
> Sigh, it looks like I screwed up the sequencing and /bin/sh isn't
> pointing to bash.  It should be.  I'll fix it.
>

> > Going into the host-temp/distcc build directory, I try running the command
> > by hand.  I get the same error message.  This suggests to me that I
> > have a bug in /bin/sh in busybox.
>
> The bug is that /bin/sh points to busybox.  There's a reason I install
> bash.  I'd love to get rid of it, but busybox needs a major upgrade for
> that to happen.  (Denys and I agree that "hush" is the shell to work on,
> we just need to find the time...)
>
> > Have I found the best workaround?  I'd also like to find and fix the
> > underlying issue; that will require more testing on my part; I want
> > to be able to compile the whole system first.
>
> Fix the symlink in root-filesystem and re-run system-image.sh.

I noticed that both busybox and bash try to install /bin/sh, and it
does look like busybox wins.  I used a debian system to build my own
system image, modifying the configuration to use ext2.  This allowed
me to update the /bin/sh symlink.

The system is compiling now; it has been all day.  I haven't yet set
up distcc, but I will be soon; it's painful waiting for the system
to compile inside qemu!  I wondered at your adding distcc; I'm 100%
on board with this idea now.

I was going to wait to see if everything compiled fine.  I did get
past the issue I reported this morning and things seem to be running
fine.

I'd like to add support for a custom busybox .config, rather than
building always with defconfig.  Is this the sort of thing that
would be welcome?

-Alan
--
.i ma'a lo bradi ku penmi gi'e du