[Aboriginal] Back to work.

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Wed Mar 23 16:17:08 PDT 2011

On 03/23/2011 09:01 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> A) I finally found out this list got moved.  2) The client finally
> pulled his finger out and is now serious about the project I want to
> use aboriginal linux for.

Yay!

> III) The actual aboriginal living downstairs
> has so far decided he does not object to the name, though more likely
> he does not know about it.

The word was coined in 1660, New South Wales colony wasn't established
until 1788, and it's still not funny.

> In the end the client seems to have decided to go for generic x86
> systems, not the tiny 486 board I was looking at initially.
> Performance is not a big issue though, anything better than a 486 is
> way more than we actually need.  Plus, I still have copies of that 486
> board that I want to use for other things. So I'll go ahead and keep
> working on that 486 target I had previously contributed.  I'll also
> make a variant that works on the 486 AND generic x86s.  Like I said,
> performance is not critical.

As far as I know the 486 version does work on generic x86s?  (Or do you
mean there's still an actual 386 system in use somewhere?)

> I know the client might have trouble coming up with the money, that's
> why I make him pay monthly in advance.  B-)
>
> At least the initial work I'll be able to use for other projects, so it
> wont be until he has invested heavily in the project and it is near the
> end that we get into the area of "not useful for others".  So some of
> the work I do I can contribute back to the aboriginal linux project.
>
> It's good to be back.

It's good to have you back.

The current repository version still has numerous regressions from last
release because uClibc-rc3 is iffy.

Let's see: armv4l is stuck on sjlj but uClibc-NPTL only supports dwarf
stack unwinding, I think I may have to keep that arch using old
pthreads.  For some reason x86-64 isn't building some of its code with
-fpic and the link is failing creating the library.  Powerpc builds but
segfaults immediately.  I need to track down the runtime problems with
sparc32 and sh4.

And then on the targets that _do_ build, building lfs natively makes it
as far as this bit of fun (longish thread):

  http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2011-March/045041.html

(There are times I really miss Erik Anderson's participation in Embedded
Linux.)