[Aboriginal] missing applets in current 1.20 system images

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 20:23:51 PST 2012

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:27:08 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 10/09/2012 07:04:07 PM, John Spencer wrote:
> > (mipsel:3) /home # free -m
> > /bin/ash: free: not found
> > (mipsel:3) /home # /bin/busybox mkswap
> > mkswap: applet not found
> > (mipsel:3) /home # swapon
> > /bin/ash: swapon: not found
>
> Yup. There's a reason for that.
>
> I'm migrating the code from busybox to toybox. (Also from uClibc to
> musl, but I don't have to write that one.)
>
> In preparation for this, I stripped down busybox from "defconfig" to
> sources/baseconfig-busybox with just the list of commands the build
> actually uses (as determiend by more/record-commands.sh). This
> includes the set of commands used to boot the target system, and to
> build Linux From Scratch under the result. I'm then gradually
> replacing those busybox commands with toybox versions.
>
> Since then, I've been adding back commands like "top" that the build
> doesn't use, but which I really miss if they're not there. You've
> just spotted three more (which are already in the repository version
> of toybox, but not in the older release version aboriginal's using).
>
> If you want the old "kitchen sink" configuration of busybox, it's:
>
>   BUSYBOX=1 ./build.sh i686
>
> That'll use a defconfig version of busybox instead of the stripped
> down version plus toybox.

SYSIMAGE_TYPE=ext2 tries to use the du command, which is missing from
this stripped down busybox.  Kitchen sink busybox supplies du though,
so I'm using that for now.  I've not tried the variation that uses
toybox yet, but I plan to eventually.

Is it my imagination, or does the latest release of Aboriginal Linux
not supply mksquashfs when an earlier version did?  I upgraded to Ubuntu
12.04, so now I'm upgrading to the latest Aboriginal Linux, which
depends on a later qemu that Ubuntu 10.04 did not have.  Now I had to
install mksquashfs to get Aboriginal Linux to compile, I don't recall
having to do that on Ubuntu 10.04.