[Aboriginal] missing applets in current 1.20 system images

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Nov 15 18:42:16 PST 2012

On 11/12/2012 10:23:51 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 20:27:08 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On 10/09/2012 07:04:07 PM, John Spencer wrote:
> > > (mipsel:3) /home # free -m
> > > /bin/ash: free: not found
> > > (mipsel:3) /home # /bin/busybox mkswap
> > > mkswap: applet not found
> > > (mipsel:3) /home # swapon
> > > /bin/ash: swapon: not found
> >
> > Yup. There's a reason for that.
> >
> > I'm migrating the code from busybox to toybox. (Also from uClibc to
> > musl, but I don't have to write that one.)
> >
> > In preparation for this, I stripped down busybox from "defconfig" to
> > sources/baseconfig-busybox with just the list of commands the build
> > actually uses (as determiend by more/record-commands.sh). This
> > includes the set of commands used to boot the target system, and to
> > build Linux From Scratch under the result. I'm then gradually
> > replacing those busybox commands with toybox versions.
> >
> > Since then, I've been adding back commands like "top" that the build
> > doesn't use, but which I really miss if they're not there. You've
> > just spotted three more (which are already in the repository version
> > of toybox, but not in the older release version aboriginal's using).
> >
> > If you want the old "kitchen sink" configuration of busybox, it's:
> >
> >   BUSYBOX=1 ./build.sh i686
> >
> > That'll use a defconfig version of busybox instead of the stripped
> > down version plus toybox.
>
> SYSIMAGE_TYPE=ext2 tries to use the du command, which is missing from
> this stripped down busybox.  Kitchen sink busybox supplies du though,
> so I'm using that for now.  I've not tried the variation that uses
> toybox yet, but I plan to eventually.

There's a du in toybox in the version that just went up. It's a third
party contribution I haven't done a cleanup pass on yet, but it seems
to basically work.

> Is it my imagination, or does the latest release of Aboriginal Linux
> not supply mksquashfs when an earlier version did?

The host-tools.sh script builds mksquashfs. It isn't in the target
filesystem, but if you rebuild aboriginal under itself it should build
it again in the new host tools.

>  I upgraded to Ubuntu
> 12.04, so now I'm upgrading to the latest Aboriginal Linux, which
> depends on a later qemu that Ubuntu 10.04 did not have.  Now I had to
> install mksquashfs to get Aboriginal Linux to compile, I don't recall
> having to do that on Ubuntu 10.04.

You shouldn't have to do so to make it compile. (It's not in my host
$PATH.)

You'll have to install it on the host if you skip the host-tools.sh
step, but you'll have to do a dozen other things in that case to get it
to work. (Which you may have already done, dunno...)