[Aboriginal] LFS 7.3 untested

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Mar 12 23:31:21 PDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 02:00:51 PM, prasanna balan wrote:
> Hello
>      I have completed porting LFS 7.3 on top of current control
> images.

Oh good. I downloaded the 7.3 files but haven't had time to look at
them yet.

Thanks.

> The reason it's untested
>      is because i have recently switched to gentoo  and cannot
> determine qemu's use flags for
>      this purpose.

QEMU's use flags for building it via emerge? Good luck. I just clone
the git repo (or download the release tarball) and do:

   ./configure --disable-werror && make -j 4 && make install

Outside of my host distro's package management. (It goes into
/usr/local.)

In any case, this should be testable in a chroot for i686 or x86_64. The
more/chroot_splice.sh wrapper sets up a chroot automatically (and
umounts the filesystems again when you exit). It can use either an hdc
or the directory of /mnt contents (which it --bind mounts read-only in
the chroot, but which you can change on the host and it'll see the
updates).

> If  someone can enlighten me, it'll be good. ( I
> was earlier on arch but it got
>      affected by a wontfix bug named systemd )

Alas.

I need to do init in toybox, which means I need to read openrc and
upstart and runit and android's init and figure out what init should
_look_ like these days.

>      I did this via mercurial queues. After enabling mercurial
> queues, just do :
>
>      hg clone http://landley.net/hg/control-images
>      cd control-images
>      hg qinit -c
>      cat >> .hg/patches/.hg/hgrc << EOF
>      [paths]
>      default = https://bitbucket.org/prazzb/control-images-patchset
>      EOF
>      cd .hg/patches
>      hg pull -u
>      cd ../..
>      hg qpush -a
>      ./build.sh lfs-bootstrap
>
>      I have also enabled udev. Only thing is I've not built glibc +
> tzdata  like
>      rob told me to do last time. Let me know if anything doesn't
> work.

In _theory_ now that uClibc is using TLS, glibc should build just fine.
I admit I haven't tried it in some time...

I'm up to my neck in a deadline at work, and trying to get the next
aboriginal linux release with the 3.8 kernel out, but I've put this
near the top of my todo list.

Thanks,