[Aboriginal] Aboriginal Linux on Google play.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Mon May 26 17:24:35 PDT 2014

On Mon, 26 May 2014 19:10:30 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> On 05/26/14 13:23, David Seikel wrote:
> > I was going to start a discussion about putting Aboriginal Linux and
> > toybox on Google play, and did a short bit of searching to find out
> > if it had already been done.  I'm using this list coz Aboriginal
> > Linux covers both, since it includes toybox.  I didn't want to
> > cross post.
> >
> > Apart from finding lots of Aboriginal art work apps and kids cute
> > toybox toys, I found this -
> >
> > https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot.aboriginal
> >
> > So I guess that part is taken care of.
>
> Yup. I installed that on my phone to play with it. My phone tends to
> reboot if I leave it running too long, I think there's some sort of
> lock timeout going on or something. (Not sure.)
>
> I also need to install a different keyboard app. Getting an escape out
> of the default keyboard is something like volume up plus E, and I've
> forgotten how cursoring around works...

Hacker's keyboard is what lots off programmers and sys admins use, and
so do I.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.pocketworkstation.pckeyboard

> > Rob, would you be OK if I put together a toybox installer app,
> > similar to the existing busybox installers, and put it up on Google
> > play?
>
> Sure, go for it.

Thanks.  I can't promise it will happen quickly, gotta sort out a logo
and stuff.  There's no toybox logo, is there?  Hopefully something
that doesn't look like a kids toybox so it stands out from that crowd
in the app store.

> I'm a little out of sync with the kernel releases but trying to catch
> back up. Right now I'm aiming for toybox and aboriginal releases at
> the end of June.
>
> > I can
> > call it something like 'onefangs toybox installer, based on Rob
> > Landley's toybox' or what ever you prefer.
>
> I don't think you need my name in it? (Nobody had to say "Erik
> Andersen's Busybox" or "Jamie Zawinski's Mozilla"...)

Well, credit where credit is due.  Though I think considering how the
search results are displayed might be best to leave my name off it to,
so it's nice and short and obviously not a bunch of toys for young
children.  "toybox installer" should do the trick.