[Aboriginal] Aboriginal Linux on Google play.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon May 26 17:44:16 PDT 2014

On 05/26/14 19:24, David Seikel wrote:
>>> Rob, would you be OK if I put together a toybox installer app,
>>> similar to the existing busybox installers, and put it up on Google
>>> play?
>>
>> Sure, go for it.
>
> Thanks.  I can't promise it will happen quickly, gotta sort out a logo
> and stuff.  There's no toybox logo, is there?  Hopefully something
> that doesn't look like a kids toybox so it stands out from that crowd
> in the app store.

Back in 2007 I spelled out "Toybox" in ascii using coke zero and pepsi
one cans, and that's still linked at the end of:

http://landley.net/toybox/about.html

But as a web page background, it made the text hard to read even when
overexposed to near-white. And as a logo, it's not hugely recognizeable
scaled down. It was a nice in-joke when the project was just me, but I
stopped using it because it wasn't helping...

>> I'm a little out of sync with the kernel releases but trying to catch
>> back up. Right now I'm aiming for toybox and aboriginal releases at
>> the end of June.
>>
>>> I can
>>> call it something like 'onefangs toybox installer, based on Rob
>>> Landley's toybox' or what ever you prefer.
>>
>> I don't think you need my name in it? (Nobody had to say "Erik
>> Andersen's Busybox" or "Jamie Zawinski's Mozilla"...)
>
> Well, credit where credit is due.

Lotsa other people have written toybox commands. :)

> Though I think considering how the
> search results are displayed might be best to leave my name off it to,
> so it's nice and short and obviously not a bunch of toys for young
> children.  "toybox installer" should do the trick.

I tend to work out what name I _should_ have used for a project long
after launching it. In this case, "dorodango" would have been the
perfect name. (Endless polishing!)

But at the moment I'm personally focused on development, not marketing...