[Aboriginal] simple-root-filesystem now lives in initramfs (which is actually initmpfs).

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Mar 12 21:17:00 PDT 2015

On 03/12/2015 06:04 PM, David Halls wrote:
> I see this is in 1.4.0 now, right? I'd still like the root fs to be
> read-only so I can be sure I'm only installing into /home when building
> heddle. Can I remount / as read-only?

Yes. "mount -o remount,ro /" should work.

> I guess I could always go back to
> the old way and append the root fs into the hda sqf.
> Thanks for Aboriginal, it's really cool. I managed to build right up to
> Docker and Capstan and do some stuff around atomic updates using kexec.
> https://github.com/davedoesdev/heddle - was about to start writing docs
> but then saw 1.4.0 so that will keep me busy for a while.

I note that if you're building a nontrivial amount of stuff,
chroot-setup is probably your friend. Otherwise you'll install stuff
into / until you fill it up, it's generally only got 100 megs or so of
space. (Half of physical memory.)

> Maybe you'll be interested too that I made a project to get Aboriginal
> building on Travis
> CI: https://github.com/davedoesdev/build-aboriginal-travis

What's travis? (It sounds familiar but the pollen's screwing up my head
today...)

Ah: http://docs.travis-ci.com/user/getting-started/

Um, yay?

> I also used CircleCI to get public builds of heddle using Aboriginal -
> artifacts here:
> http://githubraw.herokuapp.com/davedoesdev/heddle/master/.circle-ci/builds.html
> and build logs here: https://circleci.com/gh/davedoesdev/heddle
> Probably not of interest but I thought I'd point you to it anway :-)

Sounds like fun.

I still have a todo item from you (grep segfault with uClibc). I should
go fix that now. (I had enough work getting the move to initramfs
working I just shipped it once it built LFS on the targets. I'm still a
kernel version behind, it's still running uclibc instead of musl...)