[Aboriginal] sh4 target

David Halls dahalls at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 15:08:12 PST 2016

> > The sh4 target says it needs a massive cleanup. Was the EXPERT mode fix
> > taken into the mainline kernel?
>
> Yes, in the 4.0 kernel.
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=560b8c0ed45a
>
> More recently I've been working with Rich Felker (musl-libc guy), who
> was just made the new superh co-maintainer.

I'm not completely up-to-speed on open source / patent free processors.

>From a few mins reading I came up with this:

- OpenRISC: from scratch RISC. Not in mainline kernel. Can one buy a chip
yet?
- RISC-V (lowrisc): UCB made it freely available but no chip yet and not in
mainline kernel.
- Super-H (sh2 and sh4): Slower than the others (maybe not sh4-64?). Kernel
has support. sh2 is now patent free, sh4 should be patent free this year or
next.

I'm taking a wild guess that the above is woefully inaccurate?

David